Tuesday, March 07, 2006

More random thoughts

Getting dressed in the morning is becoming a dilemma: would I prefer to look like a hippo or a half-prego? This morning, I decided on hippo. Modern maternity clothes are stylish, but all about showing off your "bump" (can I just say that I hate that term? I look like I am carrying two footballs instead of a basketball), and I really don't feel like being "out" at work, so I will just let everyone think that I'm letting myself go for the time being and wear my non-maternity fat clothes.

I have been feeling fairly okay lately, thanks in part to DH, acupuncture, ADs, getting past the first trimester, the weather, my blood pressure monitor, my SPALS friends, and fellow bloggers. Also, I think I have gotten to the point where I've accepted the fact that I have no control over the outcome of this pregnancy. What is the equivalent of "Let go and let God" for non-theists? That is pretty much how I feel. At least for now.

DH has been super-cute lately. He is so excited about his little girl, and has mentioned several times already how he can't wait to have her in his arms. (Neither can I). It's looking to me like Natalie is going to be one spoiled little princess, and it won't be anything to do with me! We went to the Carter's outlet to buy some girly basics to supplement the gender neutral wardrobe we already have lined up, and DH was not pleased with any of the selections. I ended up getting 5 outfits for $25, but I know he was less than impressed. I guess he will just have to shell out the $$ for Oilily. He was never this picky about boy clothes.

Lastly, for my weekly vent, I would like to say that I wish well-meaning friends would think before they speak with regard to my current pregnancy and/or the baby. I feel like I'm venting about this all the time, but I haven't yet this week, so please excuse me. Examples of comments that have bugged me recently: "When you have a baby..." (we already had a baby), "Be careful what you wish for" (speaking about living children, as if we should feel lucky that our son died because kids can be a pain in the butt sometimes), "I hope you don't expect another present" (if meant as a joke, it was not funny), and a whole bunch of other silly comments I don't have the energy to remember that seem to deny that this is my second baby, that I have already experienced childbirth and motherhood, and that I've already thought about things like parenting and childcare, even if I didn't get to raise Julian.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best and hope the very best for you and your baby.

laura said...

let me just say, amen - those comments are so idiotic and irritating! i have a particular friend who was pregnant the first time three months ahead of my second pregnancy - and was well-versed in all things hans-related, for pete's sake - who was completely incapable of not telling me what the next stage of pregnancy would be like. (the joke was on her - there was no next stage of that particular pregnancy for me, so ha!) what's worse is that she's an ob nurse - i hurt for her patients who've had previous losses.

Muddystingbee said...

I can't believe anyone would say such things. I haven't had to deal with that yet, but I would emphatically correct anyone who acted like I hadn't yet had a baby. I'm sorry you're dealing with that.

SWH said...

All of the stupid things people have said to you are pretty bad, but the presents one would probably make me scream... (or at least vent about it to my husband way more than he would care to hear about).

Glad to hear that otherwise you're doing pretty well!!

kate said...

!!!???!!! at those stupid comments. Those people need a good smack in the head. I am sorry that you are encountering them.

I agree about modern preggo clothes. Showing off your bump is only a real option if you are young, thin, beautiful, and have no idea that things might go wrong. No showing-off here! I like a big t-shirt and an elastic-waisted skirt that i can wear under the bump.

Yes, Chloe is outrageously spoilt also. She is a total little princess, and her wardrobe is a good deal better than mine. I think it is natural with a sub baby. I go for Catimini rather than Oilily, though.