Friday, July 14, 2006

False alarm

Our echo this morning couldn't have gone better. After being checked out by the head of pediatric cardiology, he pronounced Natalie's heart function over the last umpteen weeks as "normal and boring," and said all sorts of moving and heartfelt things about us, Natalie, and Julian, given that he was around for the heartbreak we experienced at the end of our last pregnancy. He hugged and kissed me as he wished us the very best if we didn't see him next week. Very sweet, and of course, sent me into a major tearfest.

Next, we moved on to our regularly scheduled OB appointment, where my pressures and proteins got me sent over to Labor & Delivery with a pre-eclampsia scare. After 5 hours in L&D, it seems I am also "normal and boring," with normal pressures and no protein, and got sent home. Shoot, we were actually looking forward to them telling us we had to stick around for induction, which seemed like a very realistic possibility this morning. Obviously, though, I'm glad everything is okay with Natalie and me, and we were happy for the opportunity to become reacquainted with L&D, which was actually quite nice, and full of amazing doctors, calming nurses, and interesting young residents. Ms. Natalie still hasn't full dropped, however, and I am not at all dilated (which is apparently common in 2nd pregnancies, in which a lot can happen very quickly) so I really can't say when anything will happen. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

sillyhummingbird said...

So glad all is well with you and Natalie. I can't wait to hear the news of her arrival! Thinking of you!!

laura said...

how lovely to be boring. :) try to keep it that way, okay?

everything i've read says that in second or later pregnancies, practically no babies drop until their mothers are already in labor, so take heart!

Julie said...

So so glad to hear everything is "normal and boring"! Sending you tons of positive thoughts to get you through to the end!

kate said...

believe me i am very tuned! I can't wait to hear good news!

Clare said...

how wonderful Natalie's heart is so normal and boring. and how great it is to hear you are both healthy and fine. It's not long now.