Wednesday, July 05, 2006

36.5 weeks

DH and I "celebrated" July 4th in the most patriotic way we know how--we went shopping at The Mall at Short Hills, arguably the fanciest mall in New Jersey. I suppose everyone in New Jersey was having cookouts, because the place was pleasantly quiet and there were many bargains to be had. I got Natalie two gorgeous outfits and a pair of shoes from Baby Gap, 1 hat from Gymboree, a onesie and a t-shirt from Nordstrom, all for under $35!

On the way to the mall, I think I felt BH contractions, mild cramping, and a shooting pains in my pelvic region, that all went away in a short amount of time. However, during the brief time these false labor symptoms persisted, I was reminded about the reality of childbirth, and a mild panic set in. It reminded me of the feeling I got when I was in labor with Julian, about 4-5cm dilated, writhing in pain on the hospital bed, not having gotten my epidural yet: "This is somewhat bearable right now, but in about 2 minutes, it's going to get really bad, and I think I might lose my mind and/or die." I know I can do it, but the pelvic pressure reminded me of how soon this is actually going to happen, and believe it or not, I actually felt a little unready.

So, when we got home, I decided to take the plunge and wash all of Natalie's clothes and bedding. All three loads of it. It was then that I realized why I needed extra time off. I can only do about 1-2 things a day before I am completely worn out. DH has been great about putting things together, moving things, and helping us get organized, too. Thankfully, I am having a cleaner come next week (which, by the way, I never thought I'd do), who will be able to get everything done in one day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Alysse- I am so excited for you and and can't wait to hear the happy news :) I think about you guys often. Love, Cousin Sue

laura said...

good for you for getting a cleaner - a wonderful gift to yourself which you totally deserve!

you're so close - i'm so excited for you!

Anam Cara said...

Wow, wow, wow. I can't believe Natalie is almost ready to make her appearance. And well done for getting a cleaner because you deserve a break and some time to relax (if that is possible). Oh God, I won't be able to stop thinking about you and lauralu the next few weeks and your imminent arrivals!! Labor just plain sucks, I know, but I hope it won't be *too* bad for you. Sending lots of positive vibes your way!!!!