Thursday, February 02, 2006

Is it July yet?

What a week. I don't know if it's hormones or what, but I have been so agitated and irritable that I can hardly stand the sound of DH's voice, and that's not like me at all. Especially considering the emotionally turbulent week that DH has had himself, due to a miserable cold, and a luncheon with the author, Julian Barnes on Tuesday. I won't go into it too much, because it's DH's deal, but being at an event where the guest of honor shared a name with our dearly departed infant son turned out to be a bit more than he could cope with, hearing people speak his name over and over and so forth. Plus, being in the book business, he had always planned on having new books signed "To Julian," so it's understandable why he nearly broke down when Julian Barnes asked who he'd like his copy of Arthur and George made out to. It broke my heart when he called me at work to tell me what had happened. Needless to say, it was a very tough night.

The good news is that the doppler has definitely helped calm some of our anxieties about the baby--it works like a charm, and the sound of the baby's heartbeat makes us smile even on the worst of days. The bad news is that I think I've replaced anxiety about the baby with anxiety about my own health and well-being. My blood pressure has been higher than usual, and that worries me since I had pre-eclampsia at the end of my pregnancy with Julian. So, I ordered a blood pressure monitor. Pretty soon, I'll have my own medical supplies center.

2 comments:

Anam Cara said...

Congratulations on making it to the 2nd trimester! Don't know the correlation between the amount of stress felt during pregnancy and the sex of the baby, but this has been the most stressful one for me and I am having a boy. I'm sure the gender isn't as important as the fact that everything went so tragically wrong for us last time.
Sorry about the Julian Barnes luncheon and how difficult it was for your husband. But I am glad to hear the doppler is helping keep you calm! And sorry about your blood pressure. There always has to be something, doesn't there???? Why can't it ever be plain sailing? So not fair. But I hope you have a nice weekend anyway!

laura said...

maybe you could rent out your equipment as a sideline, build up a nice college fund for this little peanut....