Monday, February 27, 2006

It's my party...

It seems some people think I should play the role of the (need I point out, stereotypical?) strong super-woman, or the stoic survivor. Since it's still technically February, I'ma go 'head and play my bonus race card: can't a sister (or half-sister) show some emotion without being perceived as angry? In the past year, anger has had its turn as my most prominent feeling, right there along with fear, anxiety, resentment, sadness, isolation, guilt, and despair. However, I wouldn't say it's been as dominant lately. Not that there would be anything wrong with me if it were.

I know Gwyneth, Gwen, Katie, and Brooke would all be, among other things, pissed if any of their babies didn't make it, causing their friends to disappear, their families to distance themselves, their colleagues to avoid them, and their lives to practically fall apart before them. And I know they'd be just a tad miffed if Angelina, Christy, Jennifer, and Ashley didn't bother to do so much as send a card, or speak their baby's name, or treat them as though they were still mothers.

...and I'll cry (or feel whatever) if I want to.

3 comments:

laura said...

who thinks you should be super woman? and if someone actually feels that way - is that someone whose opinion you value anyway?

Catherine said...

The stoic strong survivor role is easier for THEM. The calm, non-feeling woman is easier for THEM. Who the hell cares what's easier for THEM anyway? The world won't fall apart if you cry. {{{hugs}}}

kate said...

You go, girl!

I agree w/ Catherine -- people want you to be 'better' because it is easier for THEM. Well, screw their needs, they are not the ones who lost their son.