Saturday, February 11, 2006

Frivolous post about frivolous baby things



I am pleased to report that I may have reached a point where I can be excited about frivolous baby things. At least where my brand new Tumi Baby Messenger Bag in Yam (pictured above) is concerned. I never got around to buying a diaper bag when I was pregnant with Julian because I couldn't make up my mind. You could say that I've been researching and testing various baby bags, ranging from your basic $30 Do-It-All Diaper Bag from Lands' End to the ridiculously priced $450 Burberry Novacheck diaper tote, for the past two years. Although it may seem like a minor issue to some, I do feel like a diaper bag is the one personal accessory that mothers of babies and small children can use to express their pre-baby style when budget allows.

I find Coach bags too heavy, and Kate Spade bags too fussy (plus, I can't stand the velcro). I have also considered the trendy celebrity favorites, such as OiOi, Reese Li, Petunia Pickle Bottom, Timi & Leslie, and Fleurville, but have been disappointed with certain features, such as non-adjustable straps, fabric that stains or snags easily, lack of organization, cutesy design, etc.

My new Tumi bag is amazing and perfect for the following reasons:
  • It has a magical no-fuss magnetic closure (no velcro!).
  • It's lightweight and easy to clean.
  • The adjustable strap is long enough that I can wear the bag across my body, leaving my hands free.
  • It is in proportion to my figure (i.e., big and bold enough that it doesn't make me look like a hippo).
  • It's roomy with lots of organizational features, and comes with a changing pad and "dirties" bag.
  • It has a very professional appearance, consistent with Tumi's other collections, making it perfect for a working mom.
  • I got it for half off the retail price of $195 at the Tumi outlet (which explains why I got it in orange instead of black, in case you were wondering. I am trying to convince myself that it's much more stylish than the black version).

5 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

I really like it - especially the orange! It's just perfect (including the price)!

SWH said...

Glad you found "THE" bag!!! :) and glad you're excited about baby things. sounds like a good sign!

kate said...

OOOH i love the orange! The bag is very good!

Anonymous said...

orange is the new black!
=P jen

Kate said...

Good call on skipping the Lands End bag. I received one as a gift- it's nice, but it is HUGE. It's more like a carry-on bag than a diaper bag.