Wednesday, January 25, 2006

(Not so) random acts of kindness

My husband's lovely co-worker, J, who is a regular reader of my blog, sent him home with a gift of delicious Jacques Torres chocolates to give to me, because she knew I had a trying week (thanks, J!). Of course, I was moved to tears over this simple act of kindness, generosity, and compassion, and it got me thinking about how conflicted I am at times about what kind of support I need to get through this pregnancy.

I typically don't enjoy discussing this pregnancy with most people (exceptions include my husband, my mother, my mother-in-law, my sisters-in-law, my doctor, my therapist, my friends who are therapists, other grieving mothers, and of course, anyone reading this), for fear that any memory of Julian will be lost in others' excitement about the new baby. On the other hand, I do appreciate emotional support, and respect for the fact that I am simultaneously grieving my first baby while looking ahead to my hopes for the next one. I'm not usually a very needy person, but hugs, chocolates, flowers, cards, and baked goods are always appreciated! :)

2 comments:

kate said...

That was sweet of your friend!!

Yes, it is hard to balance everything -- but you will figure it out! Meanwhile here are some ((((((((hugs))))))

Anam Cara said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so sorry about the death of your lovely little Julian. I look forward to sharing this roller-coaster ride of
SPAL with you though, and hoping you will get the emotional support you need. J sounds like a special person.
I always appeciate the few people in our lives who just "get it". Make s life a little bit easier. (((hugs)))