Sunday, April 23, 2006

The glass is officially half full



We had a great visit with Dr. G. on Friday, who assured us that Natalie's heart is still looking good. However, she still wants to see us every week until delivery since Julian's heart problem wasn't discovered until very late in my last pregnancy. Fine with us. I wouldn't want them to miss something that could potentially be treated in utero. Now that I'm further along, and feeling that there's a good chance Natalie will get to come home, I'm getting excited about labor and delivery.

Giving birth to Julian was probably the best thing I have ever done, and I can't wait to have that experience again. This time, though, I would prefer that the experience not include the need to whisk my baby away from me before I get to see her, or keep her away from me for extended periods of time. I want to be able to hold my baby girl right away, to bond with her, to feed her. I want my face to be the first one she sees.

I have been worried that I would be robbed of the natural mother-infant bonding process due to the high risk nature of my pregnancy. Although Dr. G. isn't my OB, I trust her and know her a lot better than I know my OB, so I asked her what she thought would happen after delivery, if things continue to look good. I was very surprised and happy to hear that she didn't think that Natalie would need to spend time in the NICU, and would probably start out in the transitional nursery, then go to the regular newborn nursery if she continued to be stable. It was so comforting to be told that she didn't see a reason why I shouldn't get to bond with my baby right away. She also said that she didn't think there would be any need to keep Natalie on medication, but that she would want to see her for an echo before she leaves the hospital, and again at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months. I really did not expect to hear that we would get to experience anything remotely close to a "normal" labor and delivery. I still have 3 1/2 months left to go, but I am trying to keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak.

In other good news, my labs came back and I do not have pre-eclampsia or gestational diabetes at this point. DH and I are both sick with horrible colds, but have been having a great time behaving badly with our dear friend, Mich, who is staying with us this weekend. From celeb spottings at Pastis to a delicious and leisurely lunch at the Culinary Institute of America , to enjoying big art at Dia Beacon , his visit has been a wonderful diversion. This is the most fun I think we've had in ages.

9 comments:

delphi said...

You look fabulous. Something of an inane comment, but it is true. You look fabulous.

laura said...

i hope everything just keeps getting better and better for you.

lorem ipsum said...

I don't think I've ever seen a front-on picture of you, just the thumbnail and the one with the cats. But you have the most magnificent smile, and I don't know how it is usually but to me it looks so full of relief and hope... brings tears to my eyes.

sillyhummingbird said...

I am so happy the news continues to be good and that your delivery and after will be "normal." And I agree, you look terrific!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful update, I am so delighted that all is looking good and that you are having such a fun time with your friend. The hopes for Natalie's delivery and bonding with you afterwards warms my heart. I truly hope it turns out that way.

kate said...

Yes, me too, i think you look fabulous! And i am so glad the news continues to be good...and that you are thinking good thoughts about L&D!

Kate said...

You look absolutely gorgeous.

Eli said...

Three cheers! Gad to hear things are going so well, and I do hope they keep looking up.

I have no doubt that you will have no trouble connecting with your daughter, but it's good to hear that you'll have a more comfortable, 'normal' delivery.

Catherine said...

You both look great!