Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Happy birthday, Julian

Our beautiful son Julian came into the world a year ago on 12/20 at 7:10pm, with a head full of dark hair and beautiful brown eyes. He weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces,and measured 19 inches long. I spent my whole pregnancy trying to picture what he would look like, but when I met him for the first time, it was likeI had known him for my whole life. It was at the same time the proudest and the saddest moment of my life because I knew that the time I would have with him would be limited. Julian struggled to be with us for 3 days before he died of heart failure caused by dilated cardiomyopathy. He only gave up the fight for his life when my husband and I held him and told him we loved him and that it was okay to let go, that he didn't need to be strong for us.

My husband, Robert and I spent the day together in quiet reflection (slightly distracted by the NYC transit strike). We are so thankful for each other and for the handful of family and friends who did manage to acknowledge Julian on what would have been his first birthday.

8 comments:

kate said...

Thinking of you and sweet Julian...he is such a beautiful boy. ((((((((hugs))))))))

It should just be so different.

lorem ipsum said...

This is not the way it should have been. Today should have been marked with balloons and toys and cake and playmates to grow up with.

Instead, there are tears from people all over who did or didn't didn't know Julian, more than he ever should have seen had he grown up.

But you know that. And I am so very, very, very sorry.

Muddystingbee said...

Julian is beautiful. I'm thinking of you today...hang in there. ((hug))

laura said...

what a lovely boy, with a beautiful name, to boot. his weight and length were exactly the same as my son's.

happy birthday, julian, wherever you are.

Anonymous said...

Alysse,

My thoughts are with you and your beautiful Julian. You both are often on my mind, especially through these three days of very special anniversaries.

Peace and love to you.

Catherine said...

He is beautiful. I'm so very sorry that you had to celebrate his birthday like this.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Julian! He is so beautiful Alysse & Robert. Thinking of you guys.
Love Cousin Sue

Kate said...

All that hair! What a handsome baby he was!

Our sons were born on the same day, and were almost exactly the same size. Your Julian was 3 oz bigger than my Brody.

Happy Birthday, little Julian.