Thursday, November 24, 2005

Giving thanks

We passed on our usual Thanksgiving with friends in favor of hanging out alone together in the city and seeing a movie. I just couldn't bear the idea of being around a bunch of happy people who seem to have everything in the world to be thankful for at the moment. I decided long ago that I didn't want to participate in any sort of holiday celebration this year, especially not the kind that involve the concept of family, generosity, good will, cheer, or the entire month of December.

That being said, I know that I do have a lot to be thankful for. I have an amazing, sensitive, kind, protective, and loving husband, who I wouldn't have made it through this last year without. I have a wonderful mother and stepdad, caring and supportive in-laws, two great cats, dear old friends who have managed to stick around, and treasured new friends who accept me for who I am today. Best of all, I have the joy of remembering the day we welcomed our beautiful son into the world, albeit for a brief time. Lots of people don't get to experience that much.

3 comments:

laura said...

thanks for coming by our blog. it breaks my heart to keep encountering other people who've lost their children.

the embroidered piece your sil made is making my cry buckets of tears. it is beautiful and perfect. it's even more amazing to have a relative that "gets it".

welcome to the club. sorry you have to be in it.

lorem ipsum said...

HI Alysse. I found you through Laura's blog, and am so touched by your experience and everything you've been writing.

I see that you lost Julian right before Christmas. Will things ever be the same? I do not know. Such a time of joy forever tainted.

Had you lost him earlier in the year, perhaps you would be able to look ahead to brighter days. But now, that anniversary staring you in the face. And I am so very, very sorry.

Anonymous said...

i know excatly how you feel about the holidays this year. i almost feel angry that the rest of the world is able to celebrate when my little girl isn't here to celebrate with us. it is just too hard.

many, many, many hugs for you.