Wednesday, July 27, 2005

One is silver, the other is...old

I made an observation to my friends on SPALS recently about how the relationships I have with friends I have met or become closer to since Julian was born seem more open and honest. One of the responses I got really struck me. A woman said, "They don't know the old you, so they aren't waiting for her to come back."

I find that some family members and old friends have an expectation that I am going to get better or get over my son so that they can relate to me again. This has been a real frustration for me. I would like to think that I would be a little more sensitive and mindful, even if I had not had this experience. What some people fail to realize is, having my son has changed me forever, for better and for worse. This is who I am now, this is my reality, this is my new "normal."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"They don't know the old you, so they aren't waiting for her to come back."

How profound is THAT statement!!!! That just resonates with me SO deeply, expressing the experience of so many parents of deceased babies. That quote is going into my journal!